FBI raids Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate and club and breaks in the safe

(Lalit K. Jha)

Washington, Aug 9 (PTI) The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has raided former US President Donald Trump’s private club and Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. A safe was broken into by the FBI as part of an investigation into the retention of documents related to the presidential office, including confidential documents, which angered the former US president. Trump called it an obstacle in his effort to reach the White House in 2024.

The former US president issued a statement indicating that searches were underway at his home in Florida. “This is a bad time for our country as my beautiful home at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida has been cordoned off, raided and taken over by a large group of FBI agents,” he said. -he declares. Nothing like this has ever happened to an American president before.

According to US media, the FBI search was linked to documents kept in 15 boxes Trump brought to Mar-a-Lago when he left the White House in January 2021, some of which have been declared confidential by the National Archives. . was marked in.

The Justice Department and the FBI declined to comment on the raid. Trump said, “Despite full cooperation with the appropriate government agencies, it is not appropriate to raid my home without informing.”

In fact, the US Department of Justice is investigating whether Trump hid confidential files at his residence in Florida after leaving the White House in 2020.

Trump said, “They even broke my safe. What is the difference between this and Watergate.

The FBI has raided Trump’s home as he prepares to claim the presidency in 2024.

Trump (76) has alleged that such an attack can only occur in the third world, i.e. poor and developing countries. “Unfortunately America has become one of those countries, this level of misconduct has never been seen before,” he said.

He alleged that it was an act of political targeting. “I will continue to fight for the American people,” he said.

Significantly, Trump is also under investigation in another alleged mob incitement case that attacked the US House of Commons on January 6, 2021.

Last February, the National Archives asked the Justice Department to investigate the handling of White House documents in the Trump administration.

The National Archives previously said at least 15 boxes containing White House documents, some of which were confidential, were recovered from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort.