The score of the box PROVO, Utah – The Duke volleyball team earned its first victory of the 2022 season on Saturday at the doTERRA Classic, defeating Rider. The Blue Devils (1-2) beat the Broncos (0-3) 3-1.
How did it happen
- Duke earned its first win of the season with a 3-1 (24-26, 25-22, 25-16, 25-18) decision over Rider on Saturday afternoon.
- Senior outside hitter Grace Johnson was the Blue Devils’ leader on offense, contributing 22 kills. Lizzie Fleming added 13 and Rylie Kadel finished with 6.
- Devon Chang continued to make his presence felt on the pitch, delivering 49 assists.
- After dropping the first set, Duke won three straight sets to secure the victory.
- Duke hit .357 and .467 in the second and third sets to take control of the contest, with 13 and 15 eliminations respectively in each set.
- The fourth set was won with 14 kills and a kill percentage of .424.
- The Blue Devils finished the third set on an 8-0 streak and took advantage of 6-0 and 5-0 in the fourth set to claim victory.
- Rachel Richardson led the team with three aces, while Devon Chang and Madison Bryant counted two each.
- Devon Chang’s 49 assists were the most in a single game so far this season, and just three assists off his career high in a single game (52).
- Saturday’s game was the first in program history between Duke and Rider.
Duke return to Durham for their home opener for their next game, as they host the Duke Invitational. Their first game will be against East Tennessee State on Friday, September 2 at 12 p.m. inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. The game will air on ACC Network Extra.